Monday, April 12, 2010

Craving



crav·ing 

Pronunciation: \ˈkrā-viŋ\
Function: noun
: an intense, urgent, or abnormal desire or longing


    I went to the Pike Place Farmer's Market yesterday afternoon.  It was a beautiful, sunny Spring day.  The kind of day that almost lets you forget about Winter.  All I want to do is cook anything with fresh vegetables, and I am patiently waiting for fresh salmon to get here.  I know, I know....there is fresh salmon available now.  I just don't want to pay $34.99/lb. for it.  Yeah, call me crazy.  So, I decided I would go to one of my favorite places in Seattle and take care of my  salmon craving once and for all, and at a very decent price I might add. In theory, this should have been to appease the situation at hand until salmon season officially starts.  Which should be soon, right??  Anyways, I  went down to the Pike Market with my salmon craving and meandered my way to the "Market Grill".  It's a tiny place with about 8 counter seats right inside the market.  All they have on the menu is halibut, salmon, and clam chowder. Oh, and really good cole slaw.  You can have a baguette sandwich, or fresh grilled fish on a field greens salad with tomato, grilled onions and a side of garlic bread.  It's right across from my favorite place to buy fish in the market too which is handy for me, in my opinion. I made my way through the crowd, and walked up to the counter.  Low and behold, there was actually a seat!  If you  have been there, you know there is ALWAYS a line waiting.  Well....this is my lucky day I thought.   I sat my happy, salmon-craving, salivating self down on a stool...and waited patiently.  The young woman working behind the counter looked at me with a very weary face, and said....."there are a few things you should know. (oh, this can't be good) I am out of halibut, salmon, and bread....but, I  do have chowder left."  I don't even think I said a word.  I picked up my bag and my salmon craving, and I slowly walked away.   Then, it dawned on me.  HOW can you be out of "salmon and halibut" when you are INSIDE the fish market?  Do you see my logic? Seriously.
   How gorgeous are all those berries though? oh, my, goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment