Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Sweet Memory

I have been eating my body's weight in Satsumas as of late. I suppose it is partly because you have to buy a box of 25 if you really want them.  I can't resist though...they are like candy.  Small, sweet, no seeds to be bothered with, and not all the work of peeling that an orange requires.  Plus, you have so many of them at home that you end up sharing them with your co-workers, and that is just a good thing, isn't it?   Having a crazy day at work?  Put a Satsuma in front of a co-worker....you'll get an instant smile. Seriously, go ahead and try it.
   I was on my breakfast break at work enjoying my oatmeal and eggs, and decided that some breakfast dessert was in order.  (who says you can't have dessert with your breakfast?)  I prefer it to be fruit...but I can't say I haven't had chocolate cake for breakfast dessert.   If, for instance, it just happened to be in the fridge.  Anyways, I sat there looking out at the mountains and Puget Sound from the fourth floor break room, and had a smile on my face enjoying my delicious orange treats.  Even the color of them is perfect.  Which brought back a sweet memory from my recent trip to India...
   When I was in India I was a bit frustrated with my wardrobe choices that I brought with me for a month long yoga teacher training program.  I was more concerned with being cold than with what I would be wearing, and that led me to pack a duffle bag of essentially ALL black clothes.   I was on a yoga trip, and it really shouldn't matter...but, I love clothes and I love color. (not really sure what I was thinking)  One of the many reasons I loved India turned out to be all the amazing colors.  The yellow mustard fields, the women in their beautiful saris....it made me crazy!  I have 650 pictures from the trip to prove my obsession. Anyways, one day before I took my shower I looked into my bag and thought..."I really wish I had something orange.  That would make me happy."  Well, that wasn't going to happen, so I collected my black yoga pants and my black yoga top and walked out of my eco-cottage and headed to the shower.  I was walking by myself, and then right in front of me...... there were two BIG beautiful orange butterflies dancing in the air.  They hovered in front of me flying in unison, and then they were gone.  I smiled, and I was grateful.   It reminded me that sometimes when we want something it may be right in front of us....we just have to see it. It may not even be in the form that we were hoping for....but, it may be even better.  It made putting on my black yoga pants that day really not such a big deal.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet, orange, fluttery gift. Love how you see the world my friend. You do inspire me. ox

    ReplyDelete