Sunday, May 2, 2010

Just Breathe.


On a recent day off I went down to Columbia City for a little excursion.  I headed to Lotus Yoga for a yoga class at 8:00AM.  It was great to be in a class, but I didn't really connect to the teacher that morning.  Maybe because  all I secretly wanted was to just go inward and breathe, but her theme for class was the "skull".  Every pose we did she brought me out of my connection to my  breath  by trying to instruct me on the 1mm movement that my skull should be doing at that moment...not very centering.  Anyways, it is what it is.  C'est la vie.  I happily left and went across the street to the Columbia City Bakery for an americano and a ham and gruyere cheese croissant.   I do believe I found my breath again!  They have the best croissants....ever.  Well, exactly like the croissants I have had in Paris...so that's about as good as it gets in my book.  When you bite into the croissant they are so flaky and full of butter that you will: 1) most likely moan out loud in a public place, so be warned. 2) your fingers will be covered in flaky bits of pastry goodness, and yes, you could  technically use a napkin to clean them off, but I do believe you will be licking your fingers. They make a mess...but, you will be so happy I can guarantee you won't care.
    After I finished my croissant and coffee I thought some breakfast dessert was in order.  Oh, my... so many choices!  I was in the mood for some chocolate so I went with a good old fashioned chocolate chip cookie.  Simple, reliable...you know what you are going to get. Sometimes that is comforting in the food arena.
    I should say that it did take a few minutes to come to that decision. I am known not to be very quick in making food choices...ha ha.  The young woman behind the counter was so sweet and patient with me though.  I inquired about many items, and then I decided on the chocolate chip cookie.  She got me though, and I appreciated that.  When she handed me my cookie I noticed she had several tattoos.  One in particular caught my attention.  On the outside of her left forearm from her wrist to her elbow was a sentence in small typerwriter font.  I asked her, "what does your tatoo
say?"  She held it up.....and she said, "I would give you my breath."  wow...I love that.  I think there is something very powerful about that statement.  Apparently it is the lyrics to a song. Who knew?  Someone should tell Hallmark about that one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment